Technical Services Round Table
MLS Office, Whately
20 June 2012
- A reminder of why we moved to Evergreen: Open Source, Responsive
- What is the Evergreen Community? How do we fit in?
- C/W MARS Website: What’s in it? How often should we check it?
- Comparison of Millenium and Evergreen: What’s different? What’s better? What’s worse?
- Success: The CATCENTER loaded all OCLC files for new requests through June 18.
- You may find duplicate records because the loader is currently not matching on ISBN. Equinox is working on this problem.
- Please report any duplicate records to the CatCenter by sending the two TCNs.
- Success: All CatExpress files through June 16 were loaded.
- There is not a way to filter out duplicates, so if you use only a few of these records, reserve them for unique titles rather than best sellers.
- Success: You can do an ISBN search from the basic search screen even though it is not listed on the drop down menu. ISBNs are in the keyword index.
- Clarification: Withdrawals
- Once a bib record is deleted, it is no longer searchable except by Database ID (TCN)
- If you delete the last item from a bib record, Evergreen deletes the bib record too.
- If you delete the item but not the volume (call number), it does not show in PAC; only items show in PAC.
- Issues: “All of my ordering tests for Ingram and B&T have failed to date.”
- Success: Tim has had success with testing with Ingram.
- Issues: Empty Volumes
- Some WMARS items ended up with autogenerated call numbers and ultimately resulted in empty volumes with autogenerated call numbers (i.e., “pi-xxxx”)
- If you see these empty volumes in holdings maintenance, please delete them.
- Issues: Volume migration to the Parts field
- Some volumes did not migrate to the parts field (see TCN2449966, for example)
- Parts are far from standardized
- How can we work together to make these parts more useful?
- Issues: Authority Records
- Authority Records did migrate to Evergreen
- Authority Records have not been incorporated with OPAC functionality.
- How can we lobby together for development?
- Issues: “FIXME” – When will we see this? What should we do?
- Issues: Receipt templates
- There is a repository of receipt templates on the C/W MARS site: http://intranet.cwmars.org/node/1902
- These are workstation specific and must be updated on each computer.
- Issues: “Also, if you change anything in the Classification, Prefix, and Call Number field (delete the call # default), you can’t, then, go to the bottom of the screen and change anything in the fields below when you are putting something ‘in process.’”
- Solution: You may lose the ability to make changes to item attributes if you delete the volume barcode or volume call number. Make sure that there is information in these fields before trying to change any item attribute information.
- Issues: “In the PAC, Evergreen doesn’t seem to have ALL LIBRARIES to see who specifically has the item that a cataloger or a patron might need.”
- Solution: Choose “C/W MARS, Inc.” (the TOP choice in the location drop-down).
- Issue: When looking at “View copy information for all libraries”, the column headers are lost because the copy information doesn’t have its own scrolling, and the whole page scrolls up.
- Issue: How can we print the item [attributes] screen?
- Issue: Can’t hide fields in copy editor (hide them, but not allowed to save the changes)
- Recommendation: Increase font size [Admin/Workstation Administration/Global Font…]
- Question: “Does anyone know how to set it as a default so it doesn’t have to be set every day?”
- Solution: You cannot change the “default”. You need only adjust the font once on the workstation and it will save the setting between log-ins.
- Recommendation: “In Millennium, we could always see how many holdings we had attached to each record because on the left hand side of the item screen, it had numbers. This helped immensely if it was a reference record that had many, many holdings that was a continuation as is Scott Standard postage stamp catalog or the like. Evergreen (Holdings Maintenance) does not have that and it would be very helpful to have the numbers down the side or somewhere so we would know how many holdings we have.”
- Recommendation: If you just need to replace a barcode, there is a dedicated ability to do just this. Find it under the main cataloging menu.
- Request: “A “Go Back” button in every screen would be helpful.
- Request: Ability to add Copy Notes to templates
- Request: Place, Cancel, Modify, & view holds from holdings maintenance
- Request: Add barcodes to keyword index so that they are searchable from the home screen
- Request: Refresh button in item status or confirmation of status change
- Request: Browse searches
- Request: Call Number shelf browse limited by library
- Request: A prompt for “last copy, delete volume?” when deleting an item in Item status